Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sports of Sorts

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Pittsburgh Steelers Need Colin Kaepernick
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:45 pm 

Paul Zeise: The Steelers need to sign Colin Kaepernick immediately
PAUL ZEISE
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers don’t have a healthy legitimate backup quarterback right now. That isn’t to suggest that rookie Josh Dobbs is a bust, it’s just clear he isn’t ready yet. And it is also clear he won’t be ready with a few more weeks of practice, either.

There are many bad teams out there that need help at quarterback that have passed on Colin Kaepernick. He is a polarizing figure, whether you agree with him or not, and bad teams rightfully believe he isn’t worth the backlash because he isn’t good enough to significantly raise their profile as a team.

That’s different than the situation the Steelers are in as one of the best teams in the league. Kaepernick has already proven he can take a good team to the Super Bowl. He is by far the best quarterback still available, which isn’t say a whole lot as the list reads like a who’s who of former Browns.

The Steelers need to sign Kaepernick now because Dobbs isn’t close to being ready as a starter and Jones is still injured and may not be ready for another few weeks. It makes no sense to wait any longer because Kaepernick needs as much time as possible to come in and learn the offense.

Also, if the Steelers signed Kaepernick now it would also give him a chance to play in two preseason games. That doesn’t sound like a lot, but it would be enough to get him some time running the system. It would also give coaches a chance to truly kick the tires on him and see if he can actually still play.

Vick is similar to Kaepernick in that he was a polarizing figure because of his conviction for dog fighting. There is a big difference, though, in that Vick was 10 years and two teams removed from his crimes by the time he arrived in Pittsburgh. Still, there was a mild backlash, and a few people showed up for a couple of games holding signs to protest him.

After a few games, though, most stopped caring that Vick was on the roster. That would happen with Kaepernick, too. The first week there’d be some angry people outside the Stadium protesting, the second week there’d be less and by the third week they’d be back to wearing their black and gold outfits and tailgating.

Kaepernick may not be a great quarterback but he has proven himself to be competent. He has proven he can be even more than that when he is surrounded by a good team. Heck, last season he played on one of the worst teams in the NFL and he threw for 16 touchdowns and only four interceptions.

Kaepernick may not be popular with some fans but he represents the team’s best chance to win in an emergency.
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/zeis ... 1708210119

Post subject: Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Need Colin Kaepernick
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:53 am 

Ret. Marine Col. Jeffery Powers wrote to the NFL commissioners the following:
Commissioners,
I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and the Giants Stadium.
I missed the ’90-’91 season because I was with a battalion of Marines in Desert Storm. 14 of my wonderful Marines returned home with the American Flag draped across their lifeless bodies. My last conversation with one of them, Sgt. Garrett Mongrella, was about how our Giants were going to the Super Bowl. He never got to see it.
Many friends, Marines, and Special Forces Soldiers who worked with or for me through the years returned home with the American Flag draped over their coffins.
Now I watch multi-millionaire athletes who never did anything in their lives but play a game, disrespect what brave Americans fought and died for. They are essentially spitting in the faces and on the graves of real men, men who have actually done something for this country beside playing with a ball and believing they’re something special! They’re not! My Marines and Soldiers were!
You are complicit in this! You’ll fine players for large and small infractions but you lack the moral courage and respect for our nation and the fallen to put an immediate stop to this. Yes, I know, it’s their 1st Amendment right to behave in such a despicable manner.
What would happen if they came out and disrespected you or the refs publicly?
I observed a player getting a personal foul for twerking in the end zone after scoring. I guess that’s much worse than disrespecting the flag and our National Anthem. Hmmmmm, isn’t it his 1st Amendment right to express himself like an idiot in the end zone?
Why is taunting not allowed yet taunting America is OK? You fine players for wearing 9-11 commemorative shoes yet you allow scum on the sidelines to sit, kneel or pump their pathetic fist in the air. They are so deprived with their multi-million dollar contracts for playing a freaking game!
You condone it all by your refusal to act. You’re just as bad and disgusting as they are. I hope Americans boycott any sponsor who supports that rabble you call the NFL. I hope they turn off the TV when any team that allowed this disrespect to occur, without consequence, on the sidelines. I applaud those who have not.
Legends and heroes do NOT wear shoulder pads. They wear body armor and carry rifles.
They make minimum wage and spend months and years away from their families. They don’t do it for an hour on Sunday. They do it 24/7 often with lead, not footballs, coming in their direction. They watch their brothers carted off in pieces not on a gurney to get their knee iced. They don’t even have ice! Many don’t have legs or arms.
Some wear blue and risk their lives daily on the streets of America. They wear fire helmets and go upstairs into the fire rather than down to safety. On 9-11, hundreds vanished. They are the heroes.
I hope that your high paid protesting pretty boys and you look in that mirror when you shave tomorrow and see what you really are, legends in your own minds. You need to hit the road and take those worms with you!
Time to change the channel.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Sports of Sorts