Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » School Board Discussion

Page 50 of 55 [ 1099 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next

Post subject: Re: Teachers' Union ...
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:43 pm 

I do too.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:10 am 

You so agree with this? Really? I guess you also agree with the Administration getting a 30% increase? Funny how there is no money for the teachers, but the Administration is fat, dumb and happy.....

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 am 

"but the Administration is fat, dumb and happy....."

I'd be careful there, teach.
You have to work with these folks.
And they're long on memory.
So the administrators are receiving pay raises but not the teachers?
Could it be that administrators are actually subject to merit pay?
YOU'RE not, teach.
Try putting your integrity on the line, instead of hiding behind your omnipotent union.
"It's contract time, so we'll just come 'round, hat in hand, and ask for our usual automatic pay raises.
Doesn't matter that some of us suck at teaching and shouldn't be anywhere near kids.
A lot of us are good, and that should be good enough.
Hey! We're in the teachers' union, so just pay up, suckers! Besides, we do it all for the kids!"

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:01 am 

I'm not a "teach" as you so intelligently stated. I'm a concerned parent and tax payer of the EF township. I'm also a business owner and pay my fair share of taxes. The teachers in this district deserve a raise and a fair contract. They have gone above and beyond for the district and the students. Your cute little pictures and insulting quotes of the teachers and their profession show how uneducated and ignorant you truly are.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:44 pm 

Guest wrote:
I'm not a "teach" as you so intelligently stated. Bullshit! If you're not a teacher, then you're married to a teacher, etc. Only these kinds of leeches would post such drivel. I'm a concerned parent (then perhaps your child is a teacher? No?) and tax payer of the EF township. I'm also a business owner and pay my fair share of taxes. Oh! You're a taxpayer, too! Then you, too, won't mind digging a little deeper to support your sacred cash cows. Right? Sorry, but the rest of us don't quite share your ebullient altruism to give a little more. We've given more than enough already.The teachers in this district deserve a raise and a fair contract. They have a contract that's more than fair. To give them more would be nothing short of financial abomination. They already have gone above and beyond for the district and the students. Your cute little pictures and insulting quotes of the teachers and their profession show how uneducated and ignorant you truly are. Believe me, Goober. Way more educated and intelligent than you are. And when it comes to the taxpayers, they're also way more intelligent than you are. Putting up a knee-jerk, off-the-top-of-your-head, BORING post to fleece them out of even more of their hard-earned money - to support a teachers' union - doesn't quite cut it. Teachers' unions are the modern day analog of the protection rackets of the 1920s.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:02 pm 

So the union recently met with the school board at the middle school cafeteria. The meeting didn't go well for the teachers.
Why are teachers not getting the message?
It's not to be taken personally.
It's just that the teachers are asking for money from a community that has never been more cash strapped.
TEACHERS: WE SIMPLY DON'T HAVE THE MONEY.
No offense.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:33 pm 

This may explain some of it:
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... &mode=text
Shared from the 2017-07-13 Mon Valley Independent eEdition
EF board rejects fact-finder report – again
The school board accepted the resignation of director Robin Miller during Wednesday’s meeting.
By JOSE NEGRON jnegron@yourmvi.com
The Elizabeth Forward School Board rejected – for a second time – a fact-finder’s report related to contract negotiations with the teachers’ union. The board met Wednesday in a packed Elizabeth Forward Middle School cafeteria.
At a special meeting July 6, the board voted 5-1 against acceptance of the report.
The board voted 5-2 Wednesday, with directors Thomas Sharkey, Douglas Dyer, Ryan O. Hemminger, Richard Cummings Jr. and Megan Ferraro, who was absent last week, in opposition. Charles Bakewell and Jamie Evans voted to accept the findings. Evans changed his vote since last week.
Director Dorothy Wycoff, who was also absent last week, said she had just received the report early Wednesday and abstained from voting.
After months of negotiations, the district filed for fact-finding May 16 with the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board, which appointed Florida attorney Christopher Miles as fact-finder. His job was to make recommendations to both parties on disputed issues.
The average teacher salary in the district last term was $65,660 Miles reported. He recommended the average salary increase to $74,520 over a five-year period.
Teachers with master’s degrees would see salaries increase from $66,025 in 2016-17 to $90,150 during the 2020-21 school year.
Miles predicted $8.3 million would be needed to fund the contract.
The directors who voted to reject the report indicated the district couldn’t afford it.
In a press release, Superintendent Dr. Bart Rocco said the proposal would have resulted in a hardship to the district.
“All property owners in the Elizabeth Forward School District could see their taxes increase by 3.4 percent each year over a five-year period,” Rocco indicated. “The district prides itself in its educational programs and wants to maintain its current curricular offerings and staffing. Based on Mr. Miles’ findings, the district would struggle to do so.”
The Elizabeth Forward Education Association voted overwhelmingly July 6 to accept the recommendations. “The association was and is still puzzled as to how the board can call for fact-finding, get an impartial third party who is incredibly experienced in doing this and then vote it down 5-2,” State Education Association spokesman Matt Edgell said Wednesday.
“That question was answered tonight when we found out it was a political ploy to simply stave off any kind of action by the association and not an attempt to solve the problem. That is a waste of taxpayers’ money right there.”
Edgell said it appears the board has “backed itself into a corner.”
“They’ll resolve it in the end, and both parties will come to an agreement,” Edgell said. “But, unfortunately, I fear that the end, because of the board’s actions, got pushed back quite a bit.”
Numerous residents and current and former teachers and students attended the meeting.
Patricia Stanton, who has lived in the district for 30 years and raised two Elizabeth Forward graduates, including a district teacher, said she was hopeful those at the meeting had quality of education for children in mind. “If this continues on, we are going to divide a community,” she said. “I don’t think this is what we want to teach our children.”
Stanton questioned part of the report that touched on professional compensation, which indicated the parties are reasonably close.
Stanton asked the board to provide information on the salary gap.
Evans said only that the sides were close and that approval of the fact-finder’s report would result in annual property tax increases for five years.
Other residents and district employees brought up topics such as the district’s financial condition and the need for a solicitor and special counsel during negotiations.
“I bleed red and black and have my whole life invested in this school district,” retired teacher Mika Long said. “I was a student here, I own property here and in Forward Township and I was a teacher here.
“We have so many assets to this community. Our schools and all that work there are at the top of the list. EF is a very special place.”
She said the district’s reputation is great, thanks to the work of Rocco, Assistant Superintendent Dr. Keruskin and the teachers.
“Why, in a labor dispute, are we tearing this relationship down, and why are we causing problems?” Long asked.
The district’s 130 teachers have been working without a contract since Aug.31.
The teachers voted overwhelmingly April 19 to authorize a strike, but a strike date has yet to be set.
Sharkey said Wednesday the board’s primary goal for requesting fact-finding was to avoid a strike at the end of the school year.
“The second goal of fact-finding is to try and get to an agreement that both parties can agree on,” he said. “That doesn’t always happen. That’s why they call it nonbinding arbitration.”
Rocco said the district will resume negotiations and is hopeful the sides can come to a resolution quickly that doesn’t negatively affect students.
A negotiating session has yet to be scheduled.
In other business, before the vote, the board accepted the resignation of director Robin Miller.
Rocco said Miller’s resignation did not include a reason.
The board directed the administration to advertise for candidates, until 2 p.m. Wednesday, to replace Miller, whose term will run through December 2019.
“Certainly Robin was a good board member and a nice person,” Rocco said. “(We’re) sorry to see her go off the board, and we appreciate her work when she was on the board.”

But it is hard to tell where the truth lies.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:30 pm 

The average teacher salary in the district last term was $65,660.00 Miles reported. He recommended the average salary increase to $74,520.00 over a five-year period.

Teachers with master’s degrees would see salaries average increase from $66,025.00 in 2016-17 to $90,150.00 during the 2020-21 school year.

"Average," folks.
AVERAGE!

And look at the people in attendance at the meeting who supported this ridiculous pay raise; teachers, former teachers, parents of teachers, and former teacher Chuck Bakewell (He needs to go)!
Gimme a break!
That ALONE should tell us who has a vested interest in one more astronomical pay raise.

Folks, if you remember nothing else from this article, then remember this:

Evans said only that the sides were close and that approval of the fact-finder’s report would result in annual property tax increases for five years.

They already make $66,025.00.
In five years, teachers with a master's degree will make $90,150.00.
You will be working to support them.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Let's not even mention standards, or merit pay, or other measures of accountability.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:35 am 

I concur that the teachers deserve a new and fair contract. They have worked the past year without a contract. I find it amusing how some of you bash the teachers on here. If you think their job is so easy and pays so well, go back to school and become a teacher. No one is stopping you. Everyone wants the best education for their children, but no one is willing to pay for it.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:15 pm 

I concur that the teachers deserve a new and fair contract. You concur? With whom? Can tell you straight up that it wouldn't be the taxpayer! They have worked the past year without a contract. So what! In the entire history of the Elizabeth Forward School District, how many times have teachers "worked without a contract?" You make it sound as though they're being abused when, in reality, it's the taxpayer who incurs TRUE abuse, and we just happen to be sick and tired of it I find it amusing how some of you bash the teachers on here. If you think their job is so easy and pays so well, go back to school and become a teacher. Ya! I DO "think it's easy." The only people who think it isn't are ... teachers who are adroit at bellyaching about how difficult their job is. Well, teachers - and apologists for teachers like yourself. Ever wonder why engineers are never unemployed and yet for every employed teacher, there are literally 12 unemployed teachers? No one is stopping you. Everyone wants the best education for their children, but no one is willing to pay for it. That's just it. If we're paying teachers in Elizabeth Forward a comparable salary with, say, Bethel Park, then EF kids should get a comparable education and they most definitely do not.

Teachers and taxpayers. A parasitic / host relationship.

One more time - In five years, teachers with a master's degree in little ol' Elizabeth Forward will make $90,150.00.

And make no mistake about it. It's happening throughout the entire country.
Take Chicago, for example.
Its teachers are among the highest paid in the entire country, yet have a look at what parents get for their sky-high tax dollars:

Even while sending their own children to private schools at a rate of 39% due to the inferior quality of their own instruction, Chicago teachers did not settle for anything less than a 30% increase on their already grotesquely extravagant salaries. Chicago is also bankrupt. Coincidence?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:28 pm 

I get so tired of hearing this: If you think their job is so easy and pays so well, go back to school and become a teacher. Pennsylvania teachers have higher pay and great benefits compared to many states, they should count their blessings. Teaching isn't easy. But let's get serious, it isn't rocket science, brain surgery, engineering, or a myriad of other jobs. There are some well-educated and highly intelligent teachers, but there are many of just average intellect. I have often been really shocked when teachers have given my children wrong information. Information that I think is mostly common sense or basic learning.

It isn't right or fair to say, "If old people can't afford to pay property tax, they should move." What a horrible thing to say to someone. It was said to me by one of our teachers. Many of our teachers live in other affluent districts and send their money (earned in this district) and their children there. If they built their expensive homes here, that money would come back to this district. Now it comes from us and goes elsewhere.

I am also tired of hearing that they cannot make ends meet on their salaries. That is total bs! Most of them are married, with combined incomes of $80 -100,000 or more. If one cannot make ends meet on that income then they should consider less vacations, new cars, designer clothing, restaurant dining and living what I would call the high life. I admit there are many families that behave this way, then cry the blues when they can't or are unwilling to pay for boring living expenses.

AND quitcherbellyaching about having to pay back your student loans. Most college students have to, not just teachers. Many graduates earn less than teachers. There are also many parents who sacrificed and took parental responsibility to send their children to college. These are the people you are telling to move if they can't pay higher property taxes. If you had been more creative and/or responsible in funding your education maybe you would not be in so much debt. This is not the taxpayers' problem, this is your responsibility.

All that being said, district employees deserve a yearly raise and good benefits. Everyone does. To operate a district irresponsibly and spend recklessly then claim that you cannot provide fair, yearly raises for your employees is bad management. To take for yourselves and not fairly and adequately pay those beneath you is immoral. I think I heard somewhere "the first shall be last and the last shall be first."

The spending this district has done on technology is big, really big, more than most realize(esp. since most taxpayers believe the Ipads were bought with grant money which is not the truth.) And, think for a moment, who has benefited from it? The kids? That is debatable. How have we gotten where we are today technologically? By good, old-fashion, basic education, imagination, and creativity of several highly motivated individuals. They did not grow up with computers, but they did invent them. They also see the benefit of raising their own children without Ipads, of letting their kids just be kids, of allowing their children to receive a solid basic education. Once that opportunity passes that time is gone, forever. There are now studies being done as to the damage tablet usage does to children's psychological development. Does the administration benefit? Now there is a thought.

Well for what is worth, there is my two cents. Thanks for letting me vent.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:43 pm 

You need to post more often.
I agree with 99% of what you've said.
The only line with which I might take issue is this one:
"All that being said, district employees deserve a yearly raise and good benefits."
It's been these year-over-year raises that have killed us.
I've been a homeowner in this district for 50 years.
Our school taxes have become ridiculously exorbitant.

One line with which I particularly agree is your having mentioned teachers who "cannot make ends meet on their salaries."
And you're absolutely correct to call BS.

Look. If you're a teacher and you can't make it on $90,150.00, then I wouldn't want you within 500 feet of my children.

Just saw a news segment of an Oklahoma teacher ... panhandling.
What a publicity stunt!
You can read about this ditz here, if you like ...
http://kfor.com/2017/07/20/anything-hel ... -supplies/
She told her local news that "she now spends between $2,000 to $3,000 of her own money to purchase supplies for her students."
And she'll be appalled if you don't swallow this BS.
Some of these teachers have absolutely no shame whatsoever.

Thank you for posting.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:08 pm 

Notice I said district employees, there are more than just teachers who work their tails off for the students. Some of these employees are paid very little in comparison to others.
In every business employees should receive yearly raises. It is just that teachers receive step raises, raises based on credits, contract raises, money for extra duties, money for working during their plan periods, etc. So it is never just a yearly review and raise like it is for most of us common folk.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:20 pm 

*Noted.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:03 pm 

I just love gubment schools.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:16 pm 

Guest wrote:
You need to post more often.
I agree with 99% of what you've said.
The only line with which I might take issue is this one:
"All that being said, district employees deserve a yearly raise and good benefits."
It's been these year-over-year raises that have killed us.
I've been a homeowner in this district for 50 years.
Our school taxes have become ridiculously exorbitant.

One line with which I particularly agree is your having mentioned teachers who "cannot make ends meet on their salaries."
And you're absolutely correct to call BS.

Look. If you're a teacher and you can't make it on $90,150.00, then I wouldn't want you within 500 feet of my children.

Just saw a news segment of an Oklahoma teacher ... panhandling.
What a publicity stunt!
You can read about this ditz here, if you like ...
http://kfor.com/2017/07/20/anything-hel ... -supplies/
She told her local news that "she now spends between $2,000 to $3,000 of her own money to purchase supplies for her students."
And she'll be appalled if you don't swallow this BS.
Some of these teachers have absolutely no shame whatsoever.

Thank you for posting.

In Denmark only Surgeons make that kid of money. Some of these teachers are assholes and don't deserve that kind of Money, others on the other hand are worth every penny.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:30 pm 

LOL! You people have way too much time on your hands. Bitch and moan all you want, the teachers will get a raise and deserve one. I'd be curious to know what you do for a living if anything. Seems you have a lot of time to post useless stats and pics on this blog. Get a job and be productive. In the meantime, thank a teacher for being able to read, calculate math and understand science.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:18 am 

Guest wrote:
LOL! You people have way too much time on your hands. Bitch and moan all you want, the teachers will get a raise (uh ... not so fast there, Cowboy ... "will?" Seriously?) and deserve one. Oh. So now they "deserve" one? You should probably study the following (copied & pasted) post:

Quote:
"In Denmark only Surgeons make that kid of money. Some of these teachers are assholes and don't deserve that kind of Money, others on the other hand are worth every penny."

I'd be curious to know what you do for a living if anything. I'm a retired engineer and business owner. Seems you have a lot of time to post useless stats and pics on this blog. Get a job and be productive. You're joking, right? Productivity? Life has given me more than I could have ever asked for, in my wildest dreams. Now besides pontificating on EF's most venerated and illustrious, what exactly do you do? In the meantime, thank a teacher for being able to read, calculate math and understand science. You're actually correct as to whom I should be grateful. I graduated high school - from Elizabeth Forward no less - in 1962. Perhaps you would like to make a comparison between '62 graduates ... and '17 graduates, ubiquitous iPads notwithstanding? To your point, current EF teachers must be doing a bang up job, because 56% of the latter graduates - are honor students. And man! Does it ever show! And it doesn't have a blessed thing to do with "grade inflation." Nope. Not at all. :lol: :lol: :lol:

56%!

I can assure you. The teachers I had then - before the advent of the teachers' union - were in a league of their own.

"Teachers' Union
94,384 views" - and counting.
Our town's population is only 1,493.
Clearly, someone is clearly reading these "useless stats and pics on this blog."

Those teachers back in the day showed up for reasons other than a paycheck. I want to echo the sentiments in the quote just above. Some of EF's most eminent and exalted truly are ... assholes. Sorry, but it's the truth. The underwhelming majority are simply mediocre. Some of these teachers truly are ... worth every penny.

I, FOR ONE, DON'T THINK THEY SHOULD ALL RECEIVE THE SAME PAY.

What do you think? While I do owe a debt of gratitude to my former teachers, it pales in comparison to the debt I owe to my parents. Finally, just exactly how do the grades of graduates from 55 years ago compare to the grades of today's graduates, as limned below? Let's have a look at this useless pic:

"LOL!"

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:56 pm 

You're nothing but a bitter old bastard. Get a life you old battle axe...... Just because you're miserable and bitter with your life and your career, doesn't mean you have to take it out on teachers. What a miserable son of a bitch....

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:09 pm 

Here's an idea - move to Denmark and get the hell out. I'm certain no one would miss you anyway.....

Page 50 of 55 [ 1099 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 55  Next

Board index » School Board Discussion